What is an Athletic Financial Award?
An AFA is any award that is conditional to being listed on the Official U SPORTS Eligibility Certificate and administered by the university’s awards office consistent with the awarding university’s policies. These awards include but are not limited to, scholarships, bursaries, prizes, leadership awards, merit awards, housing, and all other related non-employment financial benefit received by an athlete from their institution.
Is there a limit to the value of athletic scholarship that I can receive?
· Tuition and compulsory fees is the maximum amount you can receive in an academic year, including athletic-related bursaries.
· The value and quantity of athletic scholarship available vary from institution to institution.
· Specific awards may have additional conditions, such as academic success and citizenship, beyond what is stated here.
· Many awards, such as academic awards or awards provided by Sport Governing Bodies or the Federal and Provincial Governments, are not included within the tuition and compulsory fees maximum; please consult your Athletic Department.
Who provides athletic scholarships?
· All athletics scholarships provided to student-athletes must be administered through the providing university.
· To receive an athletic-related award that is not administered by your university, the award must not be conditional on attendance at any particular university, that is, you must be free to attend the University of your choice.
When can I receive an athletic scholarship?
· You are eligible to receive an athletic scholarship at the beginning of your first year at a university (September) if you have a minimum entering average of 80% or equivalent.
· Alternatively, where applicable, you are eligible to receive an athletic scholarship at the end of your first year at a university (spring or summer) if you satisfy U SPORTS academic requirements with at least a 65% average or equivalent.
· Thereafter, you are eligible to receive an athletic scholarship at the beginning of any year if you satisfy U SPORTS academic requirements with at least a 65% average or equivalent in the preceding year.